Friday, March 9, 2007

Cheryl- We LOVED Paris!!

I have to say that I am surprised that we absolutely loved Paris! Those of you that have been to my house recently may remember that the painting over the fireplace is of Paris in the rain. Now I love the picture even more because I have been there and we loved it! The weather was a little damp but not too cold and Nick walked around the city every day. We stayed about a half an hour walk from the Eiffel Tower so Nick spent alot of time walking (during the two days of training). We did some of the tourist things....walked on the Champs Eleysee, checked out the Eiffel Tower and the Arch de Triumph. We decided since we only had a few hours to skip the Louvre and go instead to Musee D'Orsay and I am so glad we did! It was wondrous! The Van Gogh's were absolutely vibrating with life! Nick got lots of great pictures of the art and they look astounding on our MAC! We walked a couple of miles through quaint little streets (I kept thinking about how much it reminded me of Paris Las Vegas LOL!) to go to little restaurant that had been recommended to us. Nick tried the steak au poivre (his standard) and I had the Tournedoes of beef and the food was absolutely exquisite! (Even the catered food for the workshop was wonderful...which is usually not the case.) Once we had finished the cappucino's and creme brulee we asked the waiter if he would call us a cab. He looked as if he were about to say something but instead answered "yes" and walked away. A couple of minutes later we saw our waiter out in the street trying to hail a cab! We jumped up and ran out front and reassured him that he did not need to hail us a cab.,..we could do that ourselves! The taxi stand was only about a block away so we walked up there. We laughed about how usually the French are not known for excellent service...but in this case he surprised us! That truly was over and above the call of duty for a waiter! When we caught our plane to come home we arrived at CDG airport to find a line of 200 people waiting at United Economy. Because of my status they allowed us to check in via first class (where there was no line). As we approached the First Class counter Nick turned to me and said "It's good to be king".

No comments: