Monday, January 29, 2007

Euro Disney now that I am home

I thought I would take a couple of minutes to capture my "looking back" feelings of EuroDisney. The people in the class were great...very open and fun. Europe is an interesting culture....start their day late, like lots of breaks and act like you are stealing the silver if you suggest less than an hour for lunch. They are the least driven of the people I have worked with. The Japanese were very quiet about it but they are very driven and put in long hours, etc. The Americans, Kiwis and Aussies are all openly competitive and driven. I am looking forward to working with the American group of this same company (Tokyo and Paris were the same company). I go to Dearborn this weekend to work with them. Should be fun! Regarding Disney in Europe. I had heard that it was not very financially successful. I think I know why and it has less to do with the attractions themselves as the clash of cultures between the hyper Disney service (above and beyond any service anywhere) an the lack of interest in service that seems innate to the French. When I went to Disney World in Orlando the areas were spotlessly clean and the people were over the top to make your stay the best it could be! They seemed delighted to be there and truly played the role of "Cast members" even if they were cleaning your hotel room. It created a sense of being in an alternate universe...which is what makes Disney successful. At Euro Disney the service was not over the top anything. There were several people who were very attentive and extremely nice...so it was not a bad experience...It just wasn't a typical Disney experience. I was trying to think of why and I came up with the fact that the staff was so french. The people were not unfriendly or rude in any way. They just seemed....I can't think of a better word...FRENCH! The French are not a service-oriented, warm and welcoming group of people. And they are never "over-the-top"....they are laid back, mellow....even about service. So, I believe that when people go to EuroDisney they miss the essence of the Disney experience....and that dilutes the desire for them to return or to come to Disney World. When asked, they probably say it was "fine". When someone goes to Disney World or Disneyland in California...they go on and on about the whole experience. They talk as much about the hotel stay as they do Epcott, etc. Anyway...it was an interesting thing to participate in. It was wierd, as an American, to go to France and stay in an American-themed hotel...so that may have added to the unreality. All in all it was a great experience...but I am really hoping I get to go back to Paris next month with Nick.

1 comment:

Pauline said...

Sigh, yep its just the French.